Download Link: Book of Acts – Week 18 – Discussion Guide
Book of Acts – Week 18 – Acts 7:1-53
Before working on this discussion guide, please do the following:
- Watch the message from this past Sunday if you were unable to attend the online service. You can find the message on our Facebook Page and on our website (renovationchurchsd.com).
- Spend 5 minutes or so in prayer. You can either pray through the “Lord’s Prayer” or simply share what is on your heart. It is also good to spend at least 1 full minute in silence so that God can quiet your heart and mind as you prepare to study the Scriptures.
- Read slowly and prayerfully through Acts 7:1-53. What stands out to you? What questions do you still have after reading through the text?
- In Stephen’s sermon, he points to three “heroes” of the faith and explains how they ultimately point us to Jesus. The first person he begins with is Abraham (Acts 7:1-8). In what ways does Abraham point us to Jesus?
- The second person he speaks about in his sermon is Joseph (Acts 7:9-16). How does Joseph point us to Jesus?
- Finally, the third person is Moses (Acts 7:17-43). In what ways does Moses point us to Jesus?
- As you think through the many stories in the Old Testament, what are some other stories/Scripture that comes to mind that clearly points us to Jesus (specifically from the Old Testament)?
- Stephen provides a pretty scathing rebuke to the Sanhedrin when he says, “You stiff-necked people with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are always resisting the Holy Spirit.” In what ways does the church today (including you) fall into this category at times?
- One of the main sins Stephen accuses the Sanhedrin of is idolatry. First, what is idolatry? Second, what is Stephen accusing the Sanhedrin of worshipping instead of God? Finally, what are some ways the modern church has been guilty of idolatry?