Book of Acts – Week 21 – Acts 8:9-24
Before working on this discussion guide, please do the following:
- Watch the message from this past Sunday if you were unable to attend the online service. You can find the message on our Facebook Page and on our website (renovationchurchsd.com).
- Spend 5 minutes or so in prayer. You can either pray through the “Lord’s Prayer” or simply share what is on your heart. It is also good to spend at least 1 full minute in silence so that God can quiet your heart and mind as you prepare to study the Scriptures.
- Read slowly and prayerfully through Acts 8:9-24. What stands out to you? What questions do you still have after reading through the text?
- We receive five warnings from this passage for the Christian faith. Which one resonates the most with you? Which one(s) do you think the American Church really needs to listen to in this season? The five warnings are below –
(Warning #1: What God Creates, Satan Counterfeits
Warning #2: Not All Faith Saves
Warning #3: All ministry – even good ministry – must be tested by the Apostles
Warning #4: Human nature seeks to manipulate God for our own purposes
Warning #5: You cannot be saved by second-hand faith)
- In this passage we are introduced to Simon who is a false convert. What separates faith that saves from faith that damns is the object of the faith. What was the object of Simon’s faith? In what ways do people in our culture commit the same mistake as Simon but in different ways? Have you even been guilty of this? (hint – we all have at various times)
- The Apostle Paul speaks on the subject of demons leading people astray in 1 Timothy 4:1-5. Read through this passage – what stands out to you? What are some teachings you think fall into the category of “the teaching of demons” spoken of by Paul?
- One of the smallest letters in the New Testament is the letter of Jude. It is written to instruct the church to be on their guard against false teachers who operate under the power of Satan to lead the church astray. Read this entire letter (it’s only 25 verses). What stands out to you?
- One of the ways we prevent the church from becoming full of false converts is through discipleship. The purpose of receiving teaching from the Bible in the church is to that you pass on this teaching to others. Are you currently discipling someone in the faith? If not, why not? Who is someone you can start meeting with for this purpose?
- Finally, what is at least one way you are planning on applying this message to your life this week?