This is the sermon discussion guide for those at Renovation Church. You can download the document and all the questions are also below:
Before working on this discussion guide, please do the following:
- Watch the message from this past Sunday if you were unable to attend the online service. You can find the message on our Facebook Page and on our website (renovationchurchsd.com).
- Spend 5 minutes or so in prayer. You can either pray through the “Lord’s Prayer” or simply share what is on your heart. It is also good to spend at least 1 full minute in silence so that God can quiet your heart and mind as you prepare to study the Scriptures.
- Read slowly and prayerfully through Acts 5:17-42. Write down what stands out to you and what questions you still have about the passage.
- Peter and the apostles respond to the Sanhedrin by pointing to the message of the Gospel in Acts 5:30-32. In your own words, use this text to explain what the message of the Gospel is.
- Tyler emphasized that following Jesus will lead to suffering. Have you ever experienced suffering as a result of your faith? What was the experience and did it draw you closer to God or away from Him?
- In the message, we consider the reality of spiritual warfare. Read through Paul’s teaching on this battle in Ephesians 6:10-20. Practically speaking, how do we prepare ourselves to stand strong in the midst of spiritual oppression and attack?
- The greatest enemy facing our Christian faith does not come from outside of us – it comes from within – our sinful nature which rebels against God. In the message on Sunday, Tyler shared how suffering leads to God’s deliverance. In your own words, how does suffering deliver us from the power and hold of sin in our lives?
- The final point of Tyler’s message on Sunday is that suffering is an opportunity for evangelism. Practically, how can we as Christians respond to suffering in such a way that our suffering points our non-Christian friends to Jesus? Specifically, how can we respond to the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What is one or two applications you are taking away from this message and applying to your life this week?