On Thursday, May 11th two families lost their homes to a horrible fire. Thankfully, no people were hurt but pets were lost in the blaze. For one of these families – the Ellis family – this was the second time in two years that they lost their home. The first time happened in a windstorm that destroyed parts of Garretson a few years ago.
The Rescue Church in Garretson – where I currently pastor – wanted to respond in a radical way. We firmly believe that Christians should be the most generous people on the face of the earth. We should practice sacrificial, extravagant, self-denying, foolish-looking generosity!
So we gave away 100% of our offering this past Sunday! It will be split 50/50 between the two families.
Truthfully, we are only playing a small role. It was been incredible seeing the community of Garretson rally around the victims of this tragedy. Multiple businesses, churches, organizations, and individuals have contributed time, talent, and money to provide relief for these families.
Here are a few stories by the local news media about how the community is responding:
- Garretson Coming Together for Fire Victims – Keloland
- Garretson Churches, Businesses, Community Members Donate Money to Families Who Lost Homes to Fire – KSFY
If you would like to help these families you can do so in multiple ways:
1. There are two funds set-up at First Bank & Trust in Garretson. The names of the funds are “Zion Lutheran Church for the Benefit of the Ellis Family” & “Zion Lutheran Church for the Benefit of the Eide Family.”
2. There is a GoFundMe set-up for the Ellis family so you can give online.
3. There is a Target registry set up for the Ellis family. This registry will be updated by the family when they have the opportunity to do so.
4. Vince Eide – the owner of the other house that was lost – is an avid shopper at Campbell’s Supply and Ace Hardware. He has requested gift cards to these stores. These cards can be sent to the following address:
P.O. Box 135
Garretson, SD 57030